I’ve been writing short stories “seriously” for about a year now.
I’m part of the Wishful Inkers project, I regularly take part in the AWC Furious Fiction competition, and I’m trying very hard to keep up with the 12 Short Stories challenge. And then there’s short stories for the blog, for (future) reader magnets, secret projects, and just for the heck of it.
So over the last year, I’ve managed to write 13 short stories (that I can talk about), and I thought it would be fun to analyse them in Hemingway, and share my findings here.
Well, I DID run them through the app and, boy, did I learn some stuff about myself and my writing. So much so that I don’t think it would all be digestible as a single post. I’m breaking it down into 4 (maybe more?) posts.
Welcome to “My Stories Under the Microscope” or “MSUM”!
Is this series just an excuse for me to play with spreadsheets and charts? … maybe. But I hope you’ll enjoy it anyway!
The first bit of data I’m going to share is word counts. No two apps give the same word count so, given that this series rests on analyses from Hemingway, I’m going to go with the word counts given by Hemingway.
There’s not much to be gleaned from this chart right now, but it’s a base for the rest of the data, so I’ll be referring back to it later.
What we can see right away is that my word count differs wildly between projects. Furious Fiction is always under 500 words, and the 12 Short Stories challenge has a different word count target (with a 50 word tolerance) every month, so there’s not much I can do about those.
I have more freedom when it comes to Wishful Inkers and my other personal projects but even there I seem to be lodged firmly in the 1k-2k camp. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, but I would like to try to write some longer pieces at some point. When I do, you can be sure I’ll share them here!
That’s about it for MSUM Part 1. In Part 2, we’ll take a look at adverbs and their impact on readability. I hope you’ll join me then!